Kids Pillow cases are an essential part of any child’s bedding. Not only do they protect the pillow from dirt and allergens, but they also add a touch of personalization to a child’s bedroom. When it comes to choosing the best kids pillow case for kids in the USA under $20, there are several factors to consider, from material and design to durability and ease of care. In this article, we’ll explore various options and provide you with valuable insights to help you make the right choice for your child’s pillowcase needs.
Table of Contents
1. Material Matters: Cotton, Microfiber, or Flannel?
When it comes to selecting the perfect kids pillow case for your child, the choice of material is paramount. Different materials offer various benefits, and it’s important to consider your child’s preferences and any potential allergies they may have.
Cotton is a classic choice for kids pillow cases, and for good reason. It’s breathable, comfortable, and easy to maintain. Cotton pillowcases are gentle on the skin, making them suitable for children with sensitive skin or allergies. Moreover, cotton is a natural material that allows air circulation, helping your child stay cool and comfortable throughout the night.
A synthetic fabric with a reputation for softness and toughness is microfiber. Microfiber kids pillow cases are often more affordable than their cotton counterparts, making them a great option for parents on a budget. These kids pillow cases are hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, making them an excellent choice for children with allergies.
Flannel is a warm and cozy fabric that’s perfect for colder seasons. These kids pillow cases are often made from cotton, which has been brushed to create a soft and fuzzy surface. Flannel kids pillow cases can keep your child warm and snug during the winter months. They come in various fun patterns and are highly durable.
Key Takeaway: The choice of material depends on your child’s needs and preferences. Cotton is ideal for all seasons, microfiber is budget-friendly and hypoallergenic, and flannel provides warmth and comfort during the colder months.
2. Size and Fit: Standard, Toddler, or Travel?
Kids pillow cases come in different sizes to accommodate various pillow types. Ensuring a proper fit is crucial for comfort and aesthetics. Here are the most common kids pillow case sizes and their ideal uses for kids:
Standard Pillowcases (20×26 inches)
Standard kids pillow cases are the most common and versatile option. They fit standard or queen-sized kids pillow cases and are suitable for older kids and teenagers. You can find a wide range of designs and colors in this size.
Toddler Kids Pillow Cases (13×18 inches)
If your child uses a smaller toddler-sized pillow, then toddler kids pillow cases are the perfect fit. These cases are specially designed for little ones and come in various fun and cute designs. They provide a snug and safe covering for smaller pillows.
Travel Kids Pillow Cases
For on-the-go comfort, consider travel-sized kids pillow cases. These are suitable for car trips, flights, or simply as a smaller-sized pillow for kids. They are typically around 12×16 inches in size.
Key Takeaway: Choose the kids pillow case size that matches your child’s pillow type to ensure a snug and comfortable fit. Toddler pillowcases are perfect for little ones, while standard pillowcases are great for older kids and teenagers.
3. Design and Personalization: Fun and Functional Options
Pillowcases are not just functional; they can also be a fun and personalized addition to your child’s bedding. When shopping for a kids’ pillowcase, consider designs that match their interests or bedroom decor. Consider the following design alternatives:
Many kids love their favorite cartoon characters, whether it’s superheroes, Disney princesses, or animated animals. You can find a wide range of pillowcases featuring these beloved characters.
Solid Colors and Patterns
Simple and classic designs can be an excellent choice for a more elegant and versatile look. Solid colors or subtle patterns can easily match various bedroom themes.
For a unique touch, consider pillowcases that can be personalized with your child’s name or initials. This not only adds a personal touch but also prevents mix-ups in shared bedrooms or during sleepovers.
Some pillowcases feature educational elements like numbers, letters, or geography. These can be both functional and engaging for kids.
Key Takeaway: The design of the pillowcase should reflect your child’s personality and interests, making their bedroom a cozy and enjoyable space.
4. Durability: Long-Lasting Kids Pillow cases
Kids can be tough on their belongings, and pillowcases are no exception. To ensure that your chosen pillowcase can withstand the wear and tear of an active child, consider the following factors:
A higher thread count usually indicates a more durable and long-lasting pillowcase. However, keep in mind that very high thread counts may not be as soft and comfortable, so finding a balance is key.
Look for pillowcases with reinforced seams, as they are less likely to unravel with repeated washings and use. Double-stitched seams can add extra durability.
Easy Care Instructions
Choose pillowcases that are easy to care for, as kids’ bedding tends to require frequent washing. Machine-washable and colorfast pillowcases will save you time and money.
Key Takeaway: Prioritize durability to ensure that your child’s pillowcase remains in good condition even after countless nights of sleepovers and pillow fights.
5. Hypoallergenic Options for Allergy-Prone Kids
If your child has allergies, you’ll want to make sure their pillowcase is hypoallergenic. Hypoallergenic pillowcases are made from materials that resist dust mites, mold, and other common allergens. Both microfiber and cotton pillowcases can be hypoallergenic if treated appropriately.
To further reduce allergen exposure, consider using pillow protectors in addition to hypoallergenic pillowcases. These zippered covers add an extra layer of protection and are easily washable.
Key Takeaway: For allergy-prone kids, select hypoallergenic pillowcases and consider using pillow protectors for added protection.
6. Budget-Friendly Picks: Pillowcases Under $20
Finding a quality kids’ pillowcase under $20 is absolutely achievable. Listed below are a few choices that are affordable to think about:
AmazonBasics Microfiber Pillowcase Set
AmazonBasics offers affordable microfiber pillowcases that are soft, durable, and available in various colors. You can find a set of two standard-sized pillowcases for under $10.
NTBAY Microfiber Pillowcases
NTBAY’s microfiber pillowcases come in a variety of colors and are known for their softness and quality. A set of two standard-sized pillowcases is typically priced under $20.
Mayfair Linen Queen/Standard Size Pillow Case Set
If you prefer cotton pillowcases, Solimo offers a budget-friendly option. Their standard-sized cotton pillowcase set often costs less than $20.
Bedsure King Size Satin Pillowcase Set
IKEA offers a range of affordable pillowcases, including the Kustruta design, which is colorful and kid-friendly. These pillowcases are typically priced under $20.
Key Takeaway: You don’t need to break the bank to find a quality kids’ pillowcase. There are numerous affordable options available that combine quality and value.
7. Tips for Pillowcase Care
To ensure the longevity of your child’s pillowcase and maintain a clean and healthy sleeping environment, follow these care tips:
Wash the pillowcase regularly: Pillowcases should be washed at least once a week to remove sweat, oils, and allergens. – The term “thread quantity” specifies exactly how many threads are woven into a square inch of fabric.
Use a mild detergent: Choose a gentle, hypoallergenic detergent to avoid skin irritation and maintain the fabric’s quality.
Avoid high heat: Excessive heat can cause damage to the fabric, especially for microfiber pillowcases. Use a low-temperature setting when drying.
Rotate and flip the pillow: To even out wear and tear, encourage your child to flip and rotate the pillow regularly.
Consider pillow protectors: Adding a zippered pillow protector under the pillowcase can extend the life of the pillow and reduce the frequency of washing.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Sure, let’s create a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to the daily routine of a child and the choice of pillowcases for them:
1. What’s the ideal age for kids to start using pillowcases?
– Children can typically start using pillowcases once they transition from a crib to a toddler or standard-sized bed, which is usually around 2-3 years old.
2. Should I choose a pillowcase before or after getting a pillow for my child?
– It’s a good idea to select a pillow first, as the size of the pillow will determine the size of the pillowcase needed.
3. How often should I wash my child’s pillowcase?
– It’s recommended to wash your child’s pillowcase at least once a week to maintain a clean and healthy sleeping environment.
4. Are there specific materials that are better for kids with allergies?
– Yes, both microfiber and hypoallergenic cotton pillowcases are excellent choices for kids with allergies, as they resist common allergens like dust mites.
5. Are there any special care instructions for flannel pillowcases?
– Flannel pillowcases should be washed and dried with care to maintain their softness and avoid excessive heat that could cause damage to the fabric.
6. What are the advantages of using pillow protectors along with pillowcases for kids?
– Pillow protectors act as an additional layer of protection, extending the life of the pillow and reducing the need for frequent washing of the pillowcase.
7. Can you recommend some online stores where I can find affordable kids’ pillowcases in the USA?
– Certainly! You can check out popular online retailers like Amazon, IKEA, and various bedding specialty stores for a wide range of affordable options.
8. What’s the thread count, and does it matter for kids’ pillowcases?
– “Thread amount” indicates to the specific amount of threads made into a rectangular inch of fabric. While a higher thread count can indicate durability, it’s essential to balance it with softness, especially for kids. Look for a thread count that provides a good balance.
9. How can I make bedtime more enjoyable for my child through their pillowcase design?
– You can choose pillowcases with your child’s favorite cartoon characters, colors, or even opt for personalization with their name or initials to make bedtime more fun and inviting.
10. Are there any specific pillowcase size recommendations for bunk beds or loft beds?
– For bunk beds or loft beds, consider the size of the pillow that fits comfortably, but it’s generally a good idea to go with standard-sized pillowcases.
These FAQs should help parents make informed decisions about choosing the best pillowcases for their kids and incorporating them into their daily routine.
Selecting the best kids pillow case for kids in the USA under $20 involves considering factors like material, size, design, durability, and hypoallergenic features. Whether your child prefers cotton, microfiber, or flannel, there are budget-friendly options available. Additionally, choosing a kids pillow case design that matches your child’s interests can make bedtime more fun.
In the end, a quality pillowcase ensures that your child sleeps comfortably and wakes up refreshed. Plus, it’s a simple yet effective way to personalize their sleeping space and make it truly their own. So, go ahead and explore the world of pillowcases for kids, and let your child’s dreams be as colorful and comfortable as their pillowcase!